Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Winzip Encryption

From: "Marc-André Laverdière" <marcandre.laverdiere () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:14:27 -0400

Hi folks,

I suggest you switch to 7-zip. AES encryption is built-in and you can
always audit the code if you need.

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Brenno J.S.A.A.F. de Winter, WGASA
<brenno () dewinter com> wrote:
Hi Wang,

Aren't this two things? One is the quality of the password (that the
cracker cracks) and the quality of the encryption. When people create a
bad password you're lost no matter how strong the encryption is, since
it is (part of) the key.

Cheers,

Brenno
acwang0048 () gmail com schreef:
Hi,

People told me that the latest version of winzip has AES encryption to protect files and should be much safer than
its eariler version like v8.

However, when I tested it with password cracker products like "archpr", I can easily get the password. So why it
claims using AES in the latest version when it is that easy to find a way to retrteive documents inside winzip!

Well, anyone has any good suggestions for a safe way to send out compressed documents?

Many Thanks,
Wang

--

--