Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Anti-Phishing with digital watermarking

From: "Matt Flynn" <mflynn () netvision com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:48:59 -0400

I can't imagine a scenario where someone would create a fake site and not
look at it at least once in a browser before sending out 1000 emails to
potential victims.

If the obfuscated code did something like check the domain and notify the
site owner without any clear indicators on the page, I think someone
code-copying would be more likely to leave it in and/or not notice it.  If
the obfuscated code also was responsible for some core piece of content or
visible indicator (like a date/time stamp with a logo behind it that might
be otherwise difficult to recreate) the phisher is even more likely to leave
the code alone.

But, if the script were to somehow blow-up the page or indicate that it was
not the real site, it would be caught by the phisher before production,
which makes it's pretty useless.