Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Value of EC-CEH

From: "J. Oquendo" <sil () infiltrated net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 19:35:44 -0500

On Thu, 04 Sep 2008, Ryan Greenier wrote:

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 02:41, Vin Oxious <vinoxious () gmail com> wrote:
Hello Everyone,

                      Greetings !! .. While I have completed EC-CEH
long back in year 2007.. I am finding it difficult to get break in the
market . Current location is India ..

Your question should be, which route should I take? The C|EH, OSCP, GPEN
track is geared for penetration testing, CISA, CISSP, CISM is managerial,
CCNA|P|SP|DA|DP are Cisco oriented and unless you work primarily in a
Cisco environment mean little.

Vendor specific certs are mainly worth having if you envision being stuck
in those environments. During the late 90's early 2k's everyone was on
an MCS(something) track which polluted the market with people reading
books and never having clues hence the "Must Consult Someone Experienced"
jokes attributed to the MCSE.

You state the C|EH means little in your country, but if you searched
say Dice.com, Monster.com you would see ads with these certs mentioned.
So ask yourself, what's "in", in my country and focus on that however
if you're certing up for the sake of having paper and not learning
anything, why not go after anything and everything and become like
hundreds of others with dozens of certs and -12's of clues.

I took the OSCP exam and it was fun, more then I expected it to be
quite frankly, I took it because I wanted to, not because I wanted
to ride a cert to more money. I made more money without certs very
long ago and am now taking certs because I have nothing better to do
getting older.

Currently I have the CISM targeted for December but have no intentions
on managing anything - I don't do politics well. I have the CHFI and
contemplate Encase certification, but don't want to do forensics. I
study to learn, for the sake of understanding for my own sake/sanity.
CCNA?P... I've studied CCIE material since the late 90's and have no
intention of taking the CCIE. You have to ask yourself, not any list
not any person... "What do I want to do..." Then learn from there on
up, a certification is nothing more than a piece of paper and quite
often it tells little of someone's true skills.

Considering Cisco had to implement fingerprinting for new test takers
since people were cheating, having others take tests for them, anyone
on this list or any other who believes a cert is a tell-tale sign of
"experience" is a fool. I know some insanely smart people who could
care less about any cert. I also know factually of many-a-people who
obtained certs under cloudy circumstances. ... Learn technology to
learn it, understand it, practice it, preach it. After so much time
in any industry, you will eventually learn enough to understand things
to a point that during any interview you go to, a cert will mean
nothing.

--
J. Oquendo

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best
forms (of government) those entrusted with power
have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted
it into tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

wget -qO - www.infiltrated.net/sig|perl

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3AC173DB