Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Corporate policy question - Personal Laptops

From: "Ali, Saqib" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:58:25 -0400

I'm trying to determine if this is even legal or not, so I'm not sure
where to look for advice.

You have to ask your Legal Dept for advise on this. It is not easy to
answer this question without understanding other policies and
contractual agreements in place at your company. The employment
contract that the employee signed before they joined the company may
cover such scenarios. Or the network use policy i.e. connecting
personal computer to corporate networks. Data use / transfer policy.
Use of personal computers policy. etc.

A recent one I saw was a company that allowed use of personal
blacberries to connect to the corporate blackberry enterprise server
(BES). They were advised to put in a clause in the usage policy, that
essentially stated that upon employee termination the employee owned
device will me remote wiped regardless of the ownership of the device.
Signing that policy was a pre-condition to connection to the BES

saqib
http://doctrina.wordpress.com/