Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: looking for a hub or switch that can connect a VPN and apply firewall rules to all ports

From: Richard Golodner <rgolodner () infratection com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:07:36 -0500

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 15:18 -0500, Justin Mitchell wrote:
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Thomas Anderson<zelnaga () gmail com> wrote:
Right now, I have maybe 10-20 computers plugged into a VPN enabled
router.  Problem with this setup is that if one computer behind the
router does something "bad" all the computers behind the router suffer
the consequences if the ISP decides to disable the connection,
temporarily or otherwise.  Normally, the way to work around this would
be to just get a hub or a switch and connect through that, however, if
that's done, all the computers would have to have VPN software
installed on them and managing 10-20 computers is much more of a
logistical challenge than managing one router.

The ideal solution, it seems to me, would be a switch that connects
each port, individually, to the VPN.  If firewall rules could be
applied universally to all ports, as well, that'd be helpful.

Any ideas?

You are going to have this problem regardless, using a single shared
connection for 10-20 computers. To prevent a single computer from
affecting the others would require each computer to have it's own
dedicated connection to the internet.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1