Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: looking for a hub or switch that can connect a VPN and apply firewallrules to all ports

From: Thomas Anderson <zelnaga () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:02:58 -0500

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:55 PM, David Gillett<gillettdavid () fhda edu> wrote:
 So your clients' Internet traffic doesn't go through the VPN?
(If it did, all the ISP would see is the encrypted tunnel...)

Some does - some doesn't.  Connections to 192.168.*.* go through the
VPN but no other traffic goes through it as per the routers
configuration.

1) Police your own network so the ISP doesn't see things they
shouldn't (*), or

The ISP (this isn't a normal ISP, btw) complained about traffic that
was being sent to 212.117.185.19:80.  Beyond that, I don't know why
they complained about it.  Maybe 212.117.185.19 is in a DNSBL and they
believe any requests sent to an IP address in a DNSBL is justification
enough for shutting the whole network down?  That would seem pretty
dumb (what if someone just mistyped the IP address?) but I don't
really know.  The ISP is not being particularly forthcoming which is
aggravating, but there's not a whole lot I can do about that.

2) Purchase routable address space so each of your clients has
their own visible address.  I'm sure the ISP will be glad to
handle the technical details in exchange for a reasonable
monthly charge.

That's not a problem.  The problem is, as stated, applying the VPN
settings and select firewall rules to all the computers.

* - This suggestion will rub some folks the wrong way.  I'm
guessing that this is a branch office setup with VPN back to
HQ, and that when a client's Internet traffic prompts the ISP
to pull the plug, the whole office loses connectivity to HQ.

That is indeed the setup.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1