Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Port question

From: Charlie Clark <charlie () funkymunkey com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 15:54:58 +0000 (GMT)

This is all OK if you do not want to forward any ports to any of your machines
behind the firewall. But if you run services eg. websites, email, remote access
or even using a peer-to-peer client you will have at least 1 open port and by
dropping SYN packets you are archiving nothing except telling a hacker that
there is a firewall in place filtering packets.
If you want to be able to ping your IP or host an externally accessible service
I think the best thing to do is send a tcp reset so that you are complying with
the tcp RFC. This way your firewall is acting the same way as any OS and it is
slightly more difficult to establish that there is a firewall filtering the
packets.
Of course if you do not want to access any services externally or be able to
ping your IP then it might be best to drop any inbound packets.
All of these methods are just security by obscurity anyway and which way you
choose is down to personal preference from my experience, a determined enough
hacker will not be stopped by either of these methods.

Regards,

Charlie

On 25 June 2009 at 04:31 Meenal Mukadam <meenal.mukadam () niiconsulting com>