Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Annual Security Awareness program

From: "G Michael Runnels" <gmrunnels () ev1 net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:52:41 -0600

To all,

At my university (6200 faculty/staff, we're not counting students), our
bursar's office identified those departments with merchant identifiers.  I
then contacted each department POC and got a list of those who fall under
the auspices of the PCI DSS (approximately 80); we felt making *everyone*
take it would be unnecessary and aggravating.  I used the latest PCI DSS
checklist and SAQs and developed a training module using Flash, and then
loaded that into our learning management system.  We tie continued access to
the university network to them completing this training.  Everyone has to do
it within 60 days of notification; since this is a brand new program (I just
rolled it out last week), I haven't sent the annual parameters yet.  If we
didn't already have the learning management system in place, I'm not sure
how we would have done it.

As a side question, how many of you have learning management systems in your
organization?

Thanks tons,

Mike R

G Michael Runnels, CISSP