Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Allowing access to social networking... securely?

From: Kurt Buff <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 16:02:59 -0700

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:14, Daniel I. Didier <ddidier () netsecureia com> wrote:
I am sure many of us are seeing the shift from the standpoint that
social networking (SN) is evil and should be blocked, to one that views
SN as a business tool and full of opportunity.  I believe this is true
for many organizations.  However, as many of us are aware, SN is full of
malicious code and techniques to trick users into giving away
information or attacking their system.  The questions I would like to
pose to the list are as follows:

What, if anything, should be done above and beyond standard security
controls to protect against the potential risks of allowing access to
SN?

Block flash, silverlight and javascript at the firewall. That should
take care of your problems. Heh.

If someone in authority thinks they've got a compelling business case
for allowing one or more sites, set up a PC in a DMZ and allow port
3389 from specific machines on the trusted network to it. Nothing
else.

Kurt