Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Allowing access to social networking... securely?

From: "Robin Smith (FaceTime)" <rsmith () facetime com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 16:13:29 -0700

Disclaimer: not a product advert, despite what the first sentence may lead you to believe!

We have a product that among other things has categorised the apps in several popular SN sites. Part of the research
behind producing this was to talk to our customers about how they use SN; I've since spoken to quite a few more
customers/prospective customers. For those that allow access to SN sites, we got a very similar response when asking
how much productivity do they think they lose to SN or Facebook in particular. Two working days, per person per month
or thereabouts is often the response - and alot of the time they've actually measured it. When you consider that I
alone spoke to companies ranging from 200 to 100,000 users (totalling about 275,000 users), well the maths isn't
complicated...One of our customers saw one particular offender that was tracked actively clicking about on Facebook for
7 hours out of their normal working day.

That said, for those that allow full access to SN (i.e. they don't even block the games / video / messaging / file
sharing apps during working hours, which alot of our customers do), their reasoning is that although it infers exposure
to lost productivity and the possibility of Data Loss, it reinforces their positive working environment policy and
actually helps with staff retention and attracting new staff, e.g. onto University graduate schemes. So the push to
block sites like Facebook isn't necessarily from HR, although that obviously varies by individual company and the
vertical industry in which they operate.

Another side of it is that we see companies who want to give their marketing department access to certain things to
allow them to run promotions or advertisements, their developpers might be producing an application and they might have
HR running recruitment programmes, so different people may actually need access to parts (not necessarily all) of the
SN sites for legitimate business use.

My point here is that yes, SN sites can eat up staff time and yes, they can introduce potential security risks, but
we're seeing more and more corporates embrace SN, because they believe they can't afford not to. Ultimately, as Krymson
correctly states, it's not an IT problem; it is for the company to define their policy, but IT need to provide the
enforcement mechanism (assuming it is possible to implement!).
--
Robin Smith - FaceTime
EMEA Technical Manager