Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: whole disk encryption on multi boot laptop

From: D Adusumalli <asndpp () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:21:39 +0530

Use tools like safeboot and mcafee end point encryption to achieve this.

Regards,
Durga Prasad.

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 1:15 AM,  <securityfocus () godigitaldesigns com> wrote:
I have performed full hdd encryption on a laptop of mine but only having ubuntu & xp. I didn't see the reason why I
would want to put BT3 installed on the hdd when it is meant to be on a boot-cd or I kept mine on a flashdrive.
However, check out BT4 they switched to debian based and it is meant for installing on the hdd or flashdrive.
Updating is easy just as you would with ubuntu, same debian repositories. However, I have yet to check out its
encryption methods.

You can fully encrypt your windows partition as you have it now without reinstalling the OS with truecrypt:
http://www.truecrypt.org/

I don't know about having full hdd encryption w/ your 3 OSs in their current state. I would recommend having XP &
ubuntu then possibly installing BT4 to the drive or flashdrive. I'm almost certain that you will need to reinstall
the ubuntu partition at least and possibly backtrack3/4

With Ubuntu you can set up an encrypted home dir after the OS is installed depending on your version. But for full
hdd encryption you need to reinstall. Use an alternate installer disc (not "desktop CD") to manually setup encrypted
LVM partition.

Steps outlined here: http://oei.yungchin.nl/2008/04/23/installing-ubuntu-804-with-full-disk-encryption/

Remember to backup all your data before attempting any of these procedures or others you may find via Google. Again,
you can keep your windows partition and encrypt it fully but will need to rebuild the linux OS's.

Hope this was somewhat useful. Good luck!

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works,
how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test,
purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for
set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1