Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Where to Start?

From: BRIAN RITCHIE <esqbrianritchie () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:08:53 +0800

Greetings moran6891,

   Your main goal must be to first identify your interests. There are
plenty of avenues in InfoSec/CyberDefense for that matter but you need
to find your passion.

If it is -
1) Network Security -> Ensure a strong bg in networking (protocols,
layers, etc) then, move on to tools on the network, setting up
network, design architecture and network defense. The best way to
learn is by designing various networks (virtual, if you don't have
real resources) and see how you can penetrate and defend from that
penetration.

2) Coding -> Ensure a strong bg in premier languages. Remember a good
network architecture with an insecure app is till as secure as the app
itself. Advise on how secure coding can be prevalent, learn by doing
and then move to auditing codes of other apps on the network.

3) etc etc. I am sure other members will be able to chip in but as
mentioned, identifying your interest is key in such matters.