Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to detect whether firewall service is provided by server or by ISP?

From: Paul Johnston <paul.johnston () pentest co uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:21:10 +0100

Hi,

If some ports are allowed through the firewall you have a chance. I've
never done this, but in theory it will work in some circumstances:

Say port 80 is allowed. First, use tcptraceroute on that port to
discover the path distance (number of hops) to the target. Now pick a
port that isn't allowed. Again, use tcptraceroute to determine find the
last hop that gets a "ttl exceeded" reponse, before you get no responses
(because of the firewall).

If this is one less than the path distance, you can say with reasonable
certainty that it's a host firewall. Otherwise, this would imply a
router/front-end firewall.

Paul