Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Length vs Complexity

From: Walter Goulet <wgoulet () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:48:07 -0500

Thanks for the corrections; I almost never refer to numbers that
large:) But hopefully the point I was making is clear...

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:41 PM, DA <kirpag () gmail com> wrote:
@Walter : I think you meant 62^12 would generate a keyspace of 3 sextillion
and not trillion. Also, 128^8 is roughly 72 quadrillion, not quintillion.
Just FYI, from what you had written, a quintillion is more than a trillion
and you were seemingly contradicting yourself.
But yes, as Razzell said, increasing the length might make more sense since
while it might just be a set of conjugated words from the dictionary with
variations of any sort, or potentially just random letters in the ASCII
keyspace, an attacker usually does not have an idea of whether it is the one
or the other. For instance, if the password is just d!8%30* and the attacker
assumes its a long password restricted to letters and digits, he would never
find the same. Similarly, if he assumes the entire ASCII alphabet as his
keyspace, then for a simple password like LoveMy3DogsAnd2Cats, he might have
to go through 128^19 combinations to get there...I wouldn't consider waiting
really...not even with a day off.
No, really...

The question really should be, how often does the attacker know the nature
of your password? Or given a random victim, is it possible to determine the
targets password format (simple letters+digits, or highly conjugated &
random) ? This would lead us back to answering if a simpler longer password
is really much more effective or not regardless of the potentially larger
keyspace it may have. I think its highly unlikely that the format can be
ascertained very easily but i'd like to know if there is some method to do
that.
Regards,
- K
[DA]