Security Basics mailing list archives

SQL Storing Passwords?

From: jim.jones12 () gmail com
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:48:43 GMT

Hello,
I'm looking for so help, i've come across a user table within SQL 2008 that contains two columns "Pwd" & "Key" and
concerned they may contain our users Active Directory credentials.  The Pwd column contains what appears to be a 40
character hash (uppercase) and the Key column has a random 8 character key that ends in "=".  I've tried running the
Pwd string through crackstation.net but to not avail.  The same user tables also contains a column for username and
full name.  I guess with the recent Linkedin and Philips hack I may be a little over paranoid.

Could someone point me in the right direction on what I can to do validate this information?

Thanks,
Jim

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1