Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IETF

From: bjp () is000796 bell-atl com (Brad Passwaters)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 94 00:39:47 -0400

Who/what is IETF?   Is this a list I should be interested in?

 IETF Internet Engineering Task Force

 The folks that brought us TCP/IP and are now working on the IPng version.

 (Internet Protocol, The Next Generation)

 A much larger address space and security-with-ethernets-in mind will be
 part of it...as well as working with the current scheme. I've been through
 this kind of shift once before and it isn't a pleasant ride.

 It's a relatively small, mostly-by-invitiation-only type operation and, if
 you think about it, that's the way it has to be.

Umm well not really. Anyone is welcome to attend IETF - They even let vendors
come:-) If you want to participate in one of the working groups all that is
asked is that you read the drafts and minutes BEFORE attending.  Working group
chairs and area directors are secected/elected by some documented process.

For more information I refer you to the info.ietf newsgroup - gatewayed from
the general mailing list or look on the ftp server nri.reston.va.us in the
/ietf directory.  The following files are of particular interest 0tao.txt
and 1ietf-description.txt

In general the IETF trys to help provide a framework where ideas can be
tested,examined and formalized into RFC's.

The below paragraph is from the file 0tao.txt and more "formally" defines IETF
membership:

   There is no membership in the IETF.  Anyone may register for and
   attend any meeting.  The closest thing there is to being an IETF
   member is being on the IETF or Working Group mailing lists (see the
   IETF Mailing Lists section).  This is where the best information
   about current IETF activities and focus can be found.

So feel free to get involved :-)

Please note I certainly don't claim to represent the IETF but I have
attended several meetings.

Brad Passwaters                                 bjp () nsm bell-atl com
Network Software Management (BAINET)            bf5t0p6 () bell-atl com (OSIN)
Voice:301-236-6221                              FAX:301-236-1061
"...and he never wondered what was right or wrong, he just knew, he just knew"
        David Crosby and Phil Collins "HERO"