Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UnixWare

From: rcm () bullwinkle us dell com (Ron McDowell)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 14:17:36 -0500 (CDT)

Michael Neuman wrote:

From spaf () cs purdue edu Wed Apr 27 11:52:25 1994

If you are going to direct criticism, direct it where it
belongs -- at vendors (and at customers who blindly buy the crap some
vendors put out).

 I'd agree with you EXCEPT I wasn't suggesting CERT should "fix the
bugs faster" as you imply. I'm complaining that they get a report of
a hole, pass it on to the vendors, and that's it. As I said above, I'd
much rather shut down some functionality on my system and wait for
a patch then leave my systems wide open. This is not a criticism of
CERT per se, but just the systems we have in place in general. If CERT
doesn't want this task of sending out advisories that look like, "There's
a problem in rdist, shut it down completely until a patch is available or
else..." than someone else should.

And the added pressure on the vendors by making these things public
sooner might help to light a fire under them to get their code cleaned up,
which would be a big plus for all of us.

--
Ron McDowell - Dell Computer Corp., 512-728-3570 rcm () bullwinkle us dell com
              "Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat!"