Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Legality of warnings

From: tog () lan nsc com (Todd Glassey - Lan Systems Administrator )
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 94 17:55:23 PDT

From bugtraq-owner () fc net Fri Aug 19 22:07:45 1994
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 94 15:49:12 MDT
From: clamb () ppws12 plk af mil (C Lamb)
To: bugtraq () crimelab com
Subject: Legality of warnings
Cc: clamb () ppws12 plk af mil
Sender: bugtraq-owner () crimelab com

I recently saw an article on comp.security.unix concerning the
need for posting warnings (i.e. of the don't log in w/o authorization
variety) at the login prompt.  I vaguely remember a way to do this
on AIX- some file which contains the login message displayed on
the console and when the system is serving telnet.

1) Does anyone remember the name of this file?

2) Is there an equivalent file in SunOS 4.1.3 and Solaris 2.3?

In 4.1.3 The Login Warning message can easily be included in
/etc/gettytab

We use someting like

default:\
        :ap:\
        :im=\r\n\
            \r\n                   Big Joe's Motuary Corporation...\
            \r\n        THIS NETWORK OF COMPUTERS IS PROTECTED BY A SECURITY SYS
TEM.\
            \r\n                    THE LAW PROHIBITS UNAUTHORIZED USE.\
            \r\n    VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED UNDER APPROPRIATE LOCAL OR COUN
TRY LAWS.\
            \r\n:\
        :lm=\r\nIf authorized, please login\72 :sp#9600:

Thanks!