Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: RPC protocol problem?

From: D.Mitchell () dcs shef ac uk (Dave Mitchell)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 94 10:32:49 BST

The portmap protocol procedure number 5 is an RPC call forwarding
service. You specify to a remote portmap that you would like it to call
a routine on the remote host for you, and give you the results back.
(why this is in there is beyond me...)

I think it's there for broadcast commands such as rusers - a client just
broadcasts a request to every portmapper on the net to call rpc.rusersd
on its behalf - otherwise it would have to individually contact each
rpc.rusersd daemon.

Anyway, am I correct in believing that the export bug only works if the
fileystem is exported to localhost, and not for the "real" local
hostname or aliases?

Dave.

* David Mitchell, Systems Administrator,    email: D.Mitchell () dcs shef ac uk
* Dept. Computer Science, Sheffield Uni.    phone: +44 114-282-5573
* 211 Portobello St, Sheffield S1 4DP, UK.  fax:   +44 114-278-0972
*
* Standards (n). Battle insignia or tribal totems