Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Virus's -- This is an Emacs bomb (fwd)

From: friedman () cli com (Noah Friedman)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 94 17:41:34 CST

 >     (setq inhibit-local-variables t)

1) Where is this documented?  I have found nothing in the emacs 18
info files.

Its description may not have appeared in the last printed manual for emacs
18; I can't remember.  But it's in the index of the info file for
emacs 18.59.

2) Where is it useful?

It's useful for setting editing attributes of buffers visiting files  such
as the major and minor modes, fill or goal columns, a compilation command
for the file, and so on.

I also use them for useful side effects, such as resetting my mail abbrev
tables when I make changes to my aliases file, automatically incrementing
serial numbers in DNS record files before saving, and so on.