Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SunOS pathconf on hsfs filesystem crashes machine

From: rwing!pat () ole cdac com (Pat Myrto)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 94 0:19:27 PST

"In the previous message, Patrick Rabau said..."

Has anyone noticed the same problem on SunOS?

Doing a pathconf(_PC_PIPE_BUF) on a cdrom file system mounted with type
hsfs crashes SunOS 4.1.3_U1, both on a sun4c and a sun4m machine.  This
is run as an ordinary user!!

I heard its worse than that - its using pathconf on ANYTHING on the hsfs
filesystem, like to get pathname length, etc...

[ ... deleted ... ]

Any fixes?

Not that I have heard of.  Solution I am aware of is to not have a
hsfs cdrom mounted on systems that have unfriendly users.  Does this
occur if this is done on a hsfs mounted over NFS (does the NFS take
the call, and protect the calling system or the server system)?  If not,
that might be a workaround...

--
pat@rwing  [If all fails, try:  rwing!pat () eskimo com]  Pat Myrto - Seattle WA
"No one has the right to destroy another person's belief by demanding