Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Is starting a user program on priv port via inetd dangerous ?

From: ericm () MicroUnity com (Eric Murray)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 16:39:37 MDT

Doug McLaren wrote:

Oh, here's the scenario :

I imagine a few of you are familiar with IRC - there's a network of
servers talking to each other, and listening for client and server
connections.

Currently the defacto port is 6667.  But there's a growing movement to
change this to 194, which will magically add 'accountability',
'responsibility' and 'respectability' to IRC.  (how effective this
would be has been beaten to death on the IRC mailing lists with no
apparant answer.)

[..]

   ircd stream tcp wait dougmc /home/dougmc/ircd/ircd ircd \-i

(apparantly even this doesn't always work, but that's not my question
either.)

My question is this: I own /home/dougmc/ircd/ircd, so I can change it
in any way I want.  Is it possible to alter it in such a way that it
takes this open fd to port 194 and abuses it, perhaps uses it to spoof
a rlogin or rsh?

A quick perusal of (4.3BSD) inetd shows that it forks, the child
gets setuid & setgid to the user that ircd is supposed
to run as (dougmc in this case), and exec()d.  Doesn't
look too bad, but I just glanced at the code, and I couldn't
say if any other version of UNIX doesn't do something dumb in inetd.

So, if there's a hole in ircd, it could cetainly be exploited as dougmc
but probably not as root.  So it's probably not much worse than
regular port 6667 in that respect.

It's still a pretty stupid idea, but you're already ware of that.

--
     ericm         ericm () microunity com