Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Breaking in from the monitor at the console

From: mouse () Collatz McRCIM McGill EDU (der Mouse)
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 1994 02:11:07 -0400

PS watch out using "#eeprom secure=full", if you loose the password
you can have a lot of fun trying to recover!

(I assume you mean "lose", not "loose" - if you loose the password all
you need to do is choose another one and set it.  Sorry for picking on
spelling, but "loose" where "lose" is meant is one of the few mistakes
that really irritates me.)

But if you lose the monitor password, a recovery procedure is
documented.  It involves, as I recall, removing the backup battery
(which involves opening the case) and waiting at least N hours, where N
is something like six or twelve.  I don't offhand recall where I read
this; probably in some hardware manual - it may (and quite likely does)
differ from model to model.

                                        der Mouse

                            mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu