Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: passwd -F

From: rwing!pat () ole cdac com (Pat Myrto)
Date: Tue, 10 May 94 21:51:00 PDT

"In the previous message, Steve Mitchell said..."

FYI, this vulnerability exists on 4.1.3_U1.  I do not know how
widespread knowledge of this vulnerability is, but I have seen Suns
running a modified passwd program that has "-F option disabled" (according
to the message output by passwd).  So somebody out there has known about
it for a while.

The following trivial perl script allows non-privileged users to
easily read any file on the system.

Gleep!  I stand corrected.  But does this give all the contents of the
file that is thus opened (I have not actually tried to exploit this
problem, I am not running the stock passwd command).  But the fix would
seem to be to replace the passwd command.  I have a copy of passwd+ I
severely hacked on (butchered?) so that it works with the passwd.adjunct
file (replaced so users cannot be changing their fullname, another
annoying feature of the stock passwd command - users changing their
fullname to nonsense or names that do not identify them, etc).

--
pat@rwing  [If all fails, try:  rwing!pat () ole cdac com]  Pat Myrto - Seattle WA
"No one has the right to destroy another person's belief by demanding