Bugtraq mailing list archives

iss: _my_ last two cents

From: mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu (der Mouse)
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 06:33:56 -0400

[dragging together three responses, in an attempt to reduce list clutter]

What's wrong with selling binaries?

Lots, IMO, but that's a rant for another list.  What bothered me in
this case is not so much that someone is selling binaries - I'm fairly
inured to that by now - but rather (a) that someone posted that ad to
bugtraq and (b) the binaries in question are a program one _must_ trust
highly, and as if that weren't enough, from a relative unknown.

As for the suspicion of binaries, I dont see anyone not running Iftp
or Itelnet binaries because "I dont have src code".

Me.  I run a vendor binary OS on my machine because I have no choice at
present; the next machine I buy will run a full source-on-hand system,
and nothing I can't recompile will go near it.  Nothing _new_ goes on
even my current machine that I don't have source to.

Is bugtraq a place for ads?  [...]
Chris did not post this announcement to the list.

I know - someone else did.  I still think bugtraq is not an appropriate
place for ads, even when they're advertising someone else's thing.  If
the person who posted it had said, instead, something like "there's
this thing called ISS, here's a five-line summary, mail me [or mail
iss () wherever it was] for the full blurb", I wouldn't've squawked.

I guess [Chris] didnt feel it appropriate to advertise his own
product here.

Good for him - I don't think it's appropriate either.

                                        der Mouse

                            mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu