Bugtraq mailing list archives

Major passwd hole in SunOS (???!!!)

From: Eduard.Vopicka () vse cz (Eduard Vopicka)
Date: Mon, 16 May 1994 11:42:44 +0200

Hello.

I received the attached material just today. I did not test if the hole is
already there, but from the posting, it is absolutely clean *what* must be
done and only exactly *when* this must be done is left as exercise.

I am sending this mail to all addreses mentioned in the original posting
except for comp.security.unix.

I would like to point out the following:

1) /usr/bin/passwd on our SunOSes has link count == 5:
        /usr/bin/passwd
        /usr/bin/chfn
        /usr/bin/chsh
        /usr/bin/ypchfn
        /usr/bin/ypchsh
Then
        # cd /bin
        # mv passwd passwd.old ; chmod 700 passwd.old
        # cp passwd.old passwd; chmod 4711 passwd
makes all *fn programs above executable only by root. This is probably not
the desired behavior. Hopefully
        # cp -p passwd passwd.orig
        # chmod 0 passwd.orig
is better solution.

2) After applying the patch suggested, any user still can do the following:
        # cd /tmp
        # ln -s passwd /bin/yppasswd
and we are just in the same situation like before patching /usr/bin/passwd.
Worse, now we believe that the hole has been carefully closed.
[ This assumes that /usr/bin/passwd and /bin/yppasswd are binary identical and
  setuid to root - diff, sum and ls on our SunOS 4.1.3 say "YES". ]

Good luck,

Eduard Vopicka