Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Setuid programs run from shell scripts?

From: fred () nasirc hq nasa gov (Fred Blonder)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 10:30:14 -0500

        From: Michael Neuman <mcn () c3serve c3 lanl gov>

        This is a nice security feature, but is it a bug?

        <example deleted>

        Shouldn't suid run as root under the "script"?

(Not to get into the set-UID shell-script argument again. ;-)

How would you handle the situation where the script itself and the
interpreter are BOTH set-UID?

They're both integers.  We can ADD them.  No wait! We'll AVERAGE them.

Clearly, the set-UID bit on one or the other must take precedence.
Someone, somewhere decided that it would be the set-UID bit on the
script.  This was maybe the wrong decision, but it's the one we're
stuck with, for the moment at least.
-----
Fred Blonder            fred () nasirc hq nasa gov

Hughes STX Corp.        (301) 441-4079
7701 Greenbelt Rd.
Greenbelt, Md.  20770