Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Stupid crackers exploiting stupid users

From: chowes () helix net (Charles Howes)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1994 19:24:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 23 Oct 1994, der Mouse wrote:

 <message clipped>

This appears to be a forged attempt to mailbomb someone else.  If you
read the headers carefully, you'll see that SFU appears in only the
From: header - the letter comes from helix.net and has a helix.net
Message-ID.  And when I looked at vanepp () sfu ca....

Yes, vanepp () sfu ca is the guy in charge of security at SFU.

Computing Services?  "staff"?  A staff person at SFU surely knows
better than to send out this piece of stupidity, especially since "expn
root" informs me that vanepp is one of nine people who get root's mail.

Yes, he knows better.

So I think someone on helix.net originated this, probably the person
responsible for the first piece of stupidity.  What vanepp has to do
with it I have trouble imagining; I would suspect that sfu.ca had been
cracked and vanepp's .forward file replaced to point to the real
culprit, but EXPN and VRFY on whistler's SMTP server don't give me that
impression.

The account was one of Helix's.  It was cracked.

I suppose it's _possible_ that Peter Van Epp _is_ the person
responsible and that the mail was forged from his account on helix.net,
but that seems extremely unlikely.

Exactly.  He is not the responsible one.

I'm sending a copy to root () sfu ca so that (a) vanepp probably gets it,
and (b) if vanepp's mail is being stolen somehow that I can't see
through VRFY and EXPN, the other roots there can deal with it.

The cracker just wants to mailbomb vanepp.  He's done it before, he'll
do it again.  Just not from *my* site, if I have anything to say about
it.

Does ANYBODY have any code that will limit the number of messages a
single user can send per day??  Or any other code to detect mail
bombs?  Sending 5 identical messages to different addresses?  (Or the
same address, for that matter..)

--
Charles Howes -- chowes () helix net
 Always tell the truth, then you make it the other bloke's problem!