Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Another request for passwords

From: chowes () helix net (Charles Howes)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1994 19:32:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 23 Oct 1994, Paul Robinson wrote:

On Sun, 23 Oct 1994, Charles Howes wrote:

Argh.  This is the third mailbomb.  I'm supposed to be in charge of
security; how do you protect against this??!?

We're using shadow passwords as of tonight, and tcp wrappers as of
last month.  The bugger keeps signing on via modem, and this is a
problem.  We can't afford callerid.

You shouldn't have to spend money on caller id when there is someone
known to be breaking into your system.  Ask the phone company to put
trap and trace on your system and that you will unconditionally agree to
prosecute whoever they catch doing this.  You should not have to pay
*anything* to get them to find the party committing harassment and
possibly other crimes.

If you are in Canada the rules might be different and they might be
allowed to charge you, but a big stink about it and a strong letter to
the CRTC and local newspapers might change their mind.

The phone company *did* put a trace on our line a while ago, but it
wasn't successful because it requires two calls; the first to
establish the prefix, at which point they set up a trace in that
prefix.  The records come in the day after the event.  Thus, it takes
two bad phonecalls separated by at least a day to trace the offender.

Caller id makes things a lot easier.
--
Charles Howes -- chowes () helix net
 Always tell the truth, then you make it the other bloke's problem!