Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UIDS < 0?

From: pug () arlut utexas edu (Pug)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1994 09:26:04 -0600 (CDT)

At LISA VIII, someone in the Automounter BOF brought up the fact (I
don't recall why) that under AIX, if your 'nobody' userid was greater
than 65-thousand-something, it would wrap (due to the limitation of a
longint uid field and 32-bit userids).  This didn't seem like a big deal,
except that they also said that by having negative userids, there were
big security holes opened up.  Anyone know what these are?  I've been
playing with a nobody with a uid of 70000, and haven't found anything...

As I remember the AIX nfs bug (as well as some other vendors I
believe), if you have a UID that has the lower 32-bit field set to 0,
you had a problem. This means that despite what your account started
at, it equated it as root.

Ciao,

--
Richard Bainter          Mundanely     |    System Analyst        - OMG/CSD
Pug                      Generally     |    Applied Research Labs - U.Texas