Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Time for moderation?

From: cklaus () shadow net (Christopher Klaus)
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 94 0:45:28 EDT

I am very unhappy :-( to be receiving anything that looks like
credit card numbers, names, and expiration dates.

If this is going to happen, I vote that bugtraq becomes a
moderated list.

It happened on firewalls also. Maybe make that moderated also. It could
happen to any mailing list - lets make them all moderated.  8-)
If you make this mailing list moderated, I doubt it would do much good
since whoever wants to commit such acts can find other means of distributing
such information.  I have heard of several major online service providers
keeping their customers information online, including credit card #'s, etc.
And know a few of them have been hacked.  (Un)Fortunately, the customer
files havent been posted publicly.  It may be good that they havent been
widely distributed, but on the other hand, it keeps the customer in the
dark that such dangers lie around - until they find out they just ordered
a mega computer setup to some odd address.

If you make this list moderated, it may takes week or more before serious
bugs would be sent out on this list.  Also, it gives the moderater good
control from stopping information about bugs that would affect his system
from going down the pipe as well.  That may be reasonable for some, but if
most mailing lists and newsgroups were moderated, we still would be in
the dark about the sendmail bugs, etc.

--
Christopher William Klaus  <cklaus () shadow net>  <iss () shadow net>
Internet Security Systems, Inc.         Computer Security Consulting