Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Technical Observations on SATAN: Issue: VMS and TCP/IP

From: softtest () wu1 wl aecl ca (Software Test Account)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 1995 16:22:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 6 Apr 1995, Wietse Venema wrote:

For some reason when I test SATAN against VMS systems running either UCX or
Wollongong TCP/IP stacks the systems crash.

This seems to be true for the heavy test only.  Other potentially
coincidental events include:
        1.  First test on a given node; when system reboots and a test
            is again performed a successful test seems to be made.
        2.  The first test uses the FQDN and the second test uses the
            IP address.

I have no idea where to look? The crash logs do not reveal anything helpful.
A message coming from SATAN says:
        bin/udp_scan: are we talking to a dead host or network?

NOTE: The hosts were most certainly alive prior to the test.

regards,

Erik
     ____       _____    _______   __     Erik Lindquist
    / _  |     / ___/   / _____/  /  /    Systems Administrator
   / /_| |    / /__    / /       /  /     AECL Whiteshell Laboratories
  /  __  |   / ___/   / /       /  /      VOICE: (204) 753-2311x3145
/_/    |_| /______/ /_______/ /________/  E-mail: lindquie () wu1 wl aecl ca