Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Technical Observations on SATAN: Issue: VMS and TCP/IP

From: hpeyerl () novatel ca (Herb Peyerl)
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 1995 09:22:02 -0600

Software Test Account <softtest () wu1 wl aecl ca>  wrote:
For some reason when I test SATAN against VMS systems running either UCX or
Wollongong TCP/IP stacks the systems crash.

I have no idea where to look? The crash logs do not reveal anything helpful.
A message coming from SATAN says:

Nothing really helpful here but I've found that sneezing in the same room as
a machine running UCX can cause it to crash...

Actually, that's not strictly true though a sure way to crash a UCX laden
machine is to send it a Loose source-route at least for the version of UCX
that the machine I used to work on a year ago had...

The words "Fatal Bug Check" come to mind but I really don't remember.  At
the time I didn't have the luxury of analyzing the problem as there were
a couple hundred people logged into the machine and month-end had to be
done so it was a matter of "Get the damn thing back up as soon as possible".