Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: -rw-rw-rw- 1 root 8025 Aug 24 04:10

From: abe () vic cc purdue edu (Vic Abell)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 07:29:50 -0500

In message <Pine.A32.3.91.950829135918.21783C-100000 () haddock saa-cons co uk> yo
u write:

On Fri, 25 Aug 1995, Darren Reed wrote:

People designing setuid-root programs or programs in general which perform
priviledged operations and need temporary files should consider using a
non-public access directory as the temp. file location.

What about using the tempnam() call?  Maybe it's not available on all
platforms although it is on AIX, SCO and HP-UX, so I'd have thought it
would be.

Do you feel that the randomness of the filenames this returns is not
random enough?  Or is it that the very nature of a file that the world can
get at is the security threat, no matter what permissions are in
existence.  I'd have thought that having /tmp mode 1777, using tempnam()
to get the file name, and creating this file in mode 0600 would be
sufficient.

In the case of lsof, randomness is undesirable.  The whole point
of having a device cache file is so every use of lsof by anyone
can take advantage of it.  Hence a known path name is necessary.
The file also needs to be world writable so that an lsof, running
under any UID, can rewrite it, should the file become corrupt or
should /dev (or /devices) change.

Of course, if you're talking about temporary files in the general
case, then my comments probably don't apply.  :-)

Vic Abell