Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: DO NOT USE THAT PATCH (Re: IP firewalling bugs)

From: fitz () wang com (Tom Fitzgerald)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 23:17:44 EDT

Seems to me that there's no reason to use the "new" data rather than
the "old" data when a new fragment arrives that overlaps
already-collected data.  They're supposed to be the same; any
difference indicates that at least one of them is definitely corrupted
in a way that beat the checksum, or else you're under attack.  In
either case, dropping both the incoming packet and the collected
fragments is probably the best response, seems to me.

Granted....

If you don't want to compare the bytes, then just make sure old data
takes precedence over new.

No, this fails if the attacker sends the offset=1 frag first (bypassing the
filter) and the offset=0 frag second (which the filter accepts, and the
defragmenter throws away).  The only safe scheme is always to use the data
in the fragment that has the smaller fragment-offset, regardless of the
order of arrival.

Throwing away fragments with offset=1 is also a real good idea.

--
Tom Fitzgerald   1-508-967-5278   Wang Labs, Billerica MA, USA   fitz () wang com