Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Request for discussion.

From: karl () bagpuss demon co uk (Karl Strickland)
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 02:46:44 +0000 (GMT)

- run network daemons with lower priveledges.
discussion:  Why are so many net daemons run as root?

I speculate because they want to bind to privileged ports.
[Yes, I know that's not a good reason.]

Telnetd runs as root.  I haven't gone in and looked at it yet
but some things it doesnt need root for are:

   (1) Binding to port 23 - inetd does that.

True

   (2) Setting the users id - login does that.

By the same token, many people dont run /bin/login suid root.  So in this
instance, you're just swapping one privileged program for another?  Is
login better to have running as root than telnetd?  I can think of more
published holes in login.

Also what about changing ownership/permissions of your pty (on BSD based
pty systems) on login/logout, and writing wtmp records on logout?

Mailed using ELM on FreeBSD               |                    Karl Strickland
PGP 2.3a Public Key Available.            | Internet: karl () bagpuss demon co uk