Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Hijacking tool

From: jmb () kryten Atinc COM (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 20:53:39 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Jan 1995, Quentin Fennessy wrote:

Tim, you said:

You do need priveledged access to a machine to send out arbitrary
packets.  (Any mac or dos user is priveledged).

What does that mean?  I said you don't need root - I don't need root on
a mac or on a PC.  There is no concept of priviledge on macs or PCs.

        it means that dos, windoze and macs have only one privlege
level--root.  so the user can send out any packet that he can construct.
no additional privlege required.

        when using an operating system not everyone has the requsite
privlege to do anything that might occur to them to try.

jmb

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb () kryten atinc com    | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
                                                | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346