Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Various Solaris 2.3 file permission problems

From: rjd4 () ucs cam ac uk (Bob Dowling)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 12:12:26 +0000

I believe Solaris 2.4 is going to fix the permissions on all files that
are *installed* by the installation system.  I suspect that most, if
not all, of the files *created* by the newly installed system that had
the wrong permissions will still have bad permissions.  By "created" as
opposed to "installed", I mean things like log files, spool files etc.
The reason for this is that Sun gets its umask wrong on a default
system, including the system started up off the CD or whatever to run
suninstall.

A good symptom of this error is the umask of inetd and hence of in.ftpd.
As is well known, in a default Solaris 2 installation, files transferred
in (so the ftpd is local) arrive with mode 0666.

We are currently running a Solaris 2.3 system with an added file
/etc/init.d/umask.sh that has a single non-comment line: "umask 0022".
There is also a link in /etc/rc2.d/S00umask.sh.  This fixes the umask of
everything that doesn't explicitly change it back again.  It has caused
us no problems that we've noticed.

--------
Bob Dowling:                    UNIX Support,
rjd4 () cam ac uk                  New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,
+44 1223 334728                 Cambridge, UK.  CB2 3QG.
--------
0666: The Mode of The Beast