Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Exploit for Linux wu.ftpd hole

From: medulla () infosoc com (Mike Edulla)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 18:06:10 -0400

Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 18:44:17 +0100
From: Henri Karrenbeld <H.Karrenbeld () ct utwente nl>
To: Multiple recipients of list BUGTRAQ <BUGTRAQ () CRIMELAB COM>
Subject: Exploit for Linux wu.ftpd hole

Since Bugtraq is exceptionally quiet lately, I though I should make it
come alive again with this discussion of the bug that was reported in
the wu.ftpd that comes with some Slackware distributions of Linux.
The report was just before Bugtraq went down for a long time, but
I've found the bug still to be present on all the Linux machines that
I have access to. So maybe it needs to be brought a little more in
the open. Here we go:

ObBug: - Short description of the bug

<snip>

Fortunately, this bug is mainly fixed by now (i would hope)...

minicom has a known, but not very well-known hole in it that is nearly
identical to the wu-ftp hole. If you are a legitimate user of a pre 1.71
version of minicom, you can get root, its the same sort of thing,
seteuid(0), and then make a suid root shell somewhere - you do it by
changing the name of 'runscript' to your shell...

It wouldnt really be much of a problem, except that linux to this day (i
believe) continues to have the users gonzo, satan, and snake in
minicom.users (or the slackware release does, at the very least).
---

There also apepars to be a bug in syslog. If you do something like:

grep -v "ROOT" messages > mmm; mv mmm messages

Logging is disabled, I suspect this problem is that the file pointer
maintained by syslog is getting ahead of the physical EOF, and thus
writes will fail, but this is just a guess, and I havent looked at the
source to linux's syslog.
---

But a more interesting topic than linux bugs would be helpful; ever since
the list went moderated, it seems to have gotten mighty quiet.