Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Non-PK encryption not vulnerable via low key length?!

From: jbb () cs umb edu (John B. Brown)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 15:44:25 -0500

Dear Jake,

Very true, but note that exhaustive searching of small key spaces (say
<2^64 keys) is becoming possible on dedicated hardware. Someone (can't
remember who) proposed a machine for searching the DES keyspace in a few
_days_, which you could build for about $1M. For what it's worth, $1B would
buy you a machine to do it in a few hours.

Anyway, I think we're getting a little bit tangental now...

Regards,

Jake.

        That was Michael J. Wiener of Bell Northern Research in 1993.
The paper is 'Efficient DES Key Search'. His proposed machine would have
cost about $1M and would have found a key in about 3.5 hours.

        Shalom,

        JBB.