Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [8lgm]-Advisory-22.UNIX.syslog.2-Aug-1995

From: Doug.Hughes () Eng Auburn EDU (Doug Hughes)
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:53:05 -0500

I just called local Sun support. They don't know anything about this
hole and they don't accept the 8lgm advisory as problem report as we
cannot prove that the bug exists on *our* SunOS host. Outch! I cannot
believe that nobody else has opened a service call or bug fix request
(or whatever Sun calls this) at Sun Microsystems. They referred me to
patch 100909-03 which fixed a hole in syslogd for SunOS 4.1.3...

My questions are:

-  Is there an official patch from Sun and what's the patch-ID?
-  Has anybody talked to Sun about this problem?
-  Is Sun working on a patch?

The person you talked to had no idea what he/she was talking about. There
is an open BUG report and tracking number. I am on a list for updates to
this report (since the bug has been reported there have not been any updates).
There is no current patch to my knowledge, but they are working on it.
I, or somebody else, will probably post updates here as they become available.
Until then, I've put my own patch together using the shlib.etc stuff,
a free snprintf, and a patched up syslog.c.

--
Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University