Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Possible bufferoverflow condition in lpr, xterm and xload

From: ficusk () on-ramp ior com (Ficus Kirkpatrick)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 08:38:09 -0700

   > xterm, xload, both segmented when supplied with -display commandline
   > argument / enviroment variable above it's buffer size. Probably
   > exploitable, although i haven't gotten around to veryfing this myself,
   > I'd like to here comments concerning this suspicioun of mine.

   The fact that it's in the -display variable, which isn't handled by
   the program but rather the X toolkit it was compiled with, implies
   that this could be a problem with all X programs using this particular
   toolkit.  I'm pretty sure Xterm is compiled with the Athena set, which
   is (I beleive) the most common library, followed by Mosaic.

I think you mean Motif. Also, there are a lot of programs that handle
the -display option by themselves and just use the value they get to
call XOpenDisplay(). So, don't discount anything that's not using either
the Athena or Motif widgets.

ficus