Bugtraq mailing list archives

real time decode of tcpdump output

From: mike () NetworX ie (Michael Ryan)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 11:14:01 BST

Sorry for not having the right subject line but I 'lost' the
original posting after reading it.

On Sat, 17 Aug 1996 16:47:42 -0700 Ficus Kirkpatrick wrote:

Does anyone know of any freely available "live playback" of tcpdump
data utilities (a la the playback sessions on takedown.com)?

I made a posting to this list a few days ago, about a program
I wrote, called tcpshow.  It decodes tcpdump savefiles. See
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/mike/tcpshow.{c,1}

Normally, one would capture the data to a file, using tcpdump
and then use tcpshow to produce a formatted display of the
decoded traffic.

However, it is possible to run tcpshow in 'real time'.  One
would enter a command something like this:
tcpdump -s 1518 -lenx | tcpshow -cooked
By the way, the manpage omits the "-cooked" arg in the
EXAMPLES section.

Mike
<mike () NetworX ie>
---