Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /etc/shells (was Re: procmail

From: brian () cse ucsc edu (BriaNeiLevine)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:56:22 -0700

[Moderator: please let this thru, a little humor never hurt anyone]

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Jauder Ho wrote:
how about extending the passwd fields one more after the shell so
that mine would be something like

auderho:x:1298:1:Jauder Ho:/export/home/jauderho:/usr/local/bin/tcsh:tf

with single letters representing different options , we can have 62 if we
use all the numerals , upper and lower cases of the alphabet.
so let's say that t stands for telnet allowed, ftp allowed ...

The founders of Unix are rolling over in their beds (Ken and the boys are
still alive right?) This is too clear and simple for a real OS like Unix.

I suggest that we use hashed octal-based codes to represent the permissions.
Meanwhile I'll get going on a program called "lobpfc"
(login-octal-based-passwd-file-changer; pronounced "lob-p'fesk").  Thru
a series of cryptic command line arguments, this admin tool will make
changing the permissions easier.

Brian

p.s. Anyone have the code that will enable me to set the effective user
id to root?