Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: mail storm

From: joe () NAVIGIST COM (Joe Rhett)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 10:11:22 -0700

1: *ALL* mail list programs should be designed/configured to *not* allow
root@* to subscribe, anyone who does daily tasks as root is a complete idiot
anyway (imho)

People who use the root account shouldn't subscribe to lists.

2: *ALL* mail list programs should be checked regularly for glitches, etc.
(it took 6 calls to Missouri.edu and us bouncing all the mail list crap we
got back to root () missouri edu, and 5 weeks before those *&^%ing twits would
overide the settings and remove us from the list (apparently the ListServ
thought we weren't on the list when we tried to unsubscribe yet kept sending
us list mail))

That's because the listserv was sending to an alias, which was
redirected to you. Since you weren't on the list, you couldn't be
unsubscribed.

To be honest, if you can't figure out who the list is really sending to,
perhaps you shouldn't be using lists?
        --most of all, you shouldn't complain about a problem that was
yours, not the listserv's.

3: If all else fails, learn your filters, it saved our butts in a big way,

Of course, understanding the issues and dealing with them appropriately
are a much better idea. You 'saved your butt' with filters, but created
huge headaches for list administrators - mostly because you didn't know
what you were doing.