Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: TCP bug on old Solaris box ?

From: nlawson () statler csc calpoly edu (Nathan Lawson)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 13:19:24 -0800

Doing nasty things with my old 2.3 Sun box, I noticed that
Solaris exits gracefully from a listen/accept call BEFORE
the three-way handshake is completed. That is, you exit
successfully from accept() as soon as the first SYN arrives !

Solaris 2.5 has a much better behavior and exits from accept()
only if the three-way handshake is completed. Do people noticed
something similar ? Any comments ?

This is dynamically configurable on Solaris 2.X via the "tcp_eager_listeners"
variable.  You probably want to turn it off.

PS : Oh, by the way : of course, this is bad news for the guys who
try to stealthly scan the TCP ports of the solaris 2.3 target, for example
with ETCP, since the old box urges syslog for incoming connections anyway...

That is one possible use for turning on this parameter.

-Nate