Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Possible Denial of Service: SSH

From: paul () xtdnet nl (Paul Wouters)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 09:08:17 +0100

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Sean B. Hamor wrote:

It seems that when my Windows 95 laptop establishes a connection to my Linux
box via SSH and the PPP connection drops, all processes that were being
controlled by the inbound SSH connection get zombied out.  If I establish a
connection and exit/drop the SSH connection, the Linux box recovers fine.
This problem only occurs when the PPP connection drops.

Anyway...I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else has had this problem (or
if it's a known bug).  The attack failed against a Linux 1.2.13 box running
sshd 1.2.17.

We have the same thing happening here. We have some users who use
some flaky TV cable connection to run ppp to their university and
it often disconnects. We then end up with sshd zombies as well.
however, killing off the main sshd will also get rid of the zombies
for you (Dont try this from remote, if your logged in using ssh :)

Paul Wouters