Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Possible Denial of Service: SSH

From: tsoome () ut ee (Toomas Soome)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 11:30:42 +0200

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Sean B. Hamor wrote:

I believe I may have found a possible denial of service attack for use
against SSH.  The attack requires an account on the target machine.  I found
this using the following setup:

lots deleted

It seems that when my Windows 95 laptop establishes a connection to my Linux
box via SSH and the PPP connection drops, all processes that were being
controlled by the inbound SSH connection get zombied out.  If I establish a
connection and exit/drop the SSH connection, the Linux box recovers fine.
This problem only occurs when the PPP connection drops.

there is mutch simpler way to block sshd - just force sshd to ask password
in login time, now create connection and let ssh to wait for password....
no one can login with ssh (with or without password) during this wait
time.... tested with 1.2.17

toomas soome
--
 Redistribution by Microsoft Network is prohibited.
 PGP public key: http://www.cs.ut.ee/~tsoome/pgp.txt