Bugtraq mailing list archives

passwd command in AIX 4.1.4

From: djr () saa-cons co uk (Dave Roberts)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 17:56:01 +0000

The passwd command under AIX 4.1.4 does not ask for the old password if
you are root, even if you are changing root's password.  To me this is a
serious security flaw, but I haven't had any satisfaction from IBM or my
suppliers (that said they would pass on my opinion).

Am I alone in thinking this is a serious problem?

Dave Roberts        | "Surfing the Internet" is a sad term for sad people.
Unix Systems Admin  | Get a board, find a beach, surf some REAL waves and
SAA Consultants Ltd | get a *real* life.
Plymouth, U.K.      | -=[For PGP Key, send mail with subject of "get pgp"]=-